Go MH :: Malaysia Airlines Cadet Pilot Experience 2023
Minimum requirements are as follows:
General:
-Malaysian Citizen, aged between 18 to 28 years old in the year of application.
-Open to both male and female.
-Minimum height of 157cm.
-Medically and physically fit with perfect eyesight and visual acuity of at least 6/60 without optical aids, correctable to 6/6 and no colour blindness.
-Proficient in both written and spoken Bahasa Malaysia and English.
-This application is specifically open to candidates who do not possess a Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL)/Instrument Rating (IR), CPL/IR. Applicants who hold these licenses should refer to the appropriate application process for pilots.
Academic Qualification:
1) Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia or equivalent (recognized by the Ministry of Education, Malaysia)
Grade of A in Mathematics, English
Grade of B in Physics or A in General Science
Grade of B in any other two subjects
2) Diploma or Degree pre-requisites:
Engineering/Scientific related Discipline
CGPA 3.0 and above
SPM with a grade of any “B” in any 5 subjects which must include English, Mathematics, and Science
Most of u might be curious if MAB really takes into account of high achiever candidates like straight As and all that. The answer is ‘No’. Each and every candidate is judged based on their performance during each and every assessments that they went through. As long as u passed the minimum qualification requirement set by the airline then u will be just fine. U don’t need to be a genius to be a pilot. Lol my SPM is 4As, failed my Addmaths and got an E for Chemistry but still managed to apply cadetship. (This behaviour does not justify that u should be like me lol xD go and score your SPM dude.)
Stage 0: The Callup/Application
25th June 2023: The job position is posted
2nd July 2023: The deadline for the application
31st August 2023: Shortlisted email
Overall the process from stage 1 till stage 4 takes us around 5-6 months. So please be patient when applying for MAS cadetship. There might be some frustrations along the way but bear with me, it will be worth the wait. Also, don’t expect that we will commence flight training soon as it may take some time for them to find availability slots for flying school respectively.
Stage 1: Written Exam
6th September 2023
I had just returned from my solo trip to Penang when I received a call from MAB, informing me that I had been shortlisted and invited to participate in the first stage of the exam. The situation became chaotic as I had to cut my solo vacation short by a day, making the sacrifice to head back to KL. At first I hesitate to attend the assessment because the email was so unexpected and Im not even prepared. Lol im in Penang trying to enjoy my solo vacation, it was abit of a turn off but I didn’t regret going haha
Well u might asked. How much quota does MAB takes? My advice is not to worry as long as u pass the minimum benchmark/standards set by the airline. The common fear amongst our cadets is AIRLINES will take low number of candidates or set too high on the benchmark. In my 5 years of experience with cadetship they usually will take u so long as u pass the MINIMUM benchmark. Your only competition is only with yourself. But again, not to be complacent with every assessment u take
My tips:
-Skip the questions that you do not know then come back to the questions that you really know
-Do the easiest first followed by the hardest; in my case by descending order (least hard to the hardest) English, Physics, Mathematics.
-1 month before the intake of MAB please do study first. Don't come in empty handed. If u are from arts stream/accounting stream then ensure that u have studied SPM Physics from F4-F5
-If u want to make your life easy, gather all the SPM Trial Paper 1 for Physics and Maths and treat it like a questionbank. U solve each one of them with answer sheet next to u. Another great tip is use ChatGPT/BardAI/BingAI for better guidance.
Bonus: Okay what if i failed the first stage? What should I do?
It is impossible to live without failing at something - unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all - in which case you fail by default. -J.K. Rowling
Guys its okay to fail. I failed my MAB entrance exam 3 times in a row for 2 years. It sucks yes it is. It is okay to feel sad, depressed and spiral into sadness for a while. But after you've recovered from the fall, get back up and try to identify which part of the assessment u think u did not do well, what can u improvise from there? An added advantage if u can ask from those seniors or candidates that passed the exam; u may come across very good tips from them!
Stage 2: Physical Interview
26th September 2023
I was at home when I received an invitation from Malaysia Airlines, stating that I had passed. It was hard to believe because this marked my fourth attempt with Malaysia Airlines; the previous three were in 2019 and 2018, and I had failed the entrance exam each time. This success was my first after multiple attempts.After receiving the news, we immediately formed a study group in WhatsApp, specifically for the interview. We conducted Google Meet meetings, engaged in group interview mock-ups, practiced our speaking skills, and covered various aspects to ensure a basic understanding of interviews and gain additional knowledge about aviation. Given our diverse backgrounds, some of us were from different fields.
(I received an invitation for AirAsia Stage 2 assessment (2nd intake of that year) during the same period. However, I chose not to attend as I prioritised focusing on the MAB assessment)
4th October 2023
On the day of the interview, we were placed in a holding room and received a briefing about the program's structure. The flying school would cost approximately 400k-450k, with possible bank loans available, including PTPTN, Maybank, Affin, and MARA. Although I inquired about MARA, the staff suggested focusing on passing first before exploring loan options. While in the holding room, my friends from the study group tested each other on advanced aviation knowledge, discussing topics like air bleed, PTU, why start engine 2 first, and fuel pumps. Some had extensive knowledge, being flight simmers with hands-on experience handling study-level aircraft in simulations. Ehem not to mention that the candidates that went for the interview were also my friends, we were super DUPER loud at the back while we are in the holding room. We were laughing hard at stupid aviation jokes 🤣🤣 buttt plssss dont be like us. Everyone else looks super tensed waiting to be called up one by one for the interview while we look like monkeys at the back.
Oh btw the interview is divided into several category of questions so be sure to study and research well all of them and structure your words properly before the interview:
1. CRM (conflict,risk,management)
2. Personal questions (life,career,hobby,interests,qualifications)
3. Aviation technical knowledge (vref,eicas,ecam,principle flight,drag,decision height)
4. Company background (fleets,ceo,upper management,group)
5. Aviation news
Like me, I will gather all the question and research; put it in google docs, make a table and insert whatever question and answers. These are just mere examples how it should be done (lol ik its related to airasia but this is just an example so don't tuduh me of curang eh, im still an MABian, just happened to use this template back then for AirAsia interview stage)
Stage 3: Psychomotor & Psychometric
11th October 2023
So, I'm chilling at my university, just started my first semester in my degree program, and I'm lounging on my bed when I get this email saying I aced the interview and got an invite for the next round. They gave me some time to prep before the assessment. I had to fill out this Google form, pick a month slot for my assessment, you know, basic stuff. To get ready, I set up X-Plane 11 as my go-to flight sim, got myself a Logitech 3D Pro joystick. Went with X-Plane 11 because the physics are top-notch, way better than other sims, and I figure it'll come in handy later. Started practicing flying a Cessna in circuits from Kuala Lumpur (WMKK) to Kuala Lumpur (WMKK), keeping an eye on my heading, altitude, and speed.
(Flight-simming at Zahir's place for performance check with the B737-200 Classic)
My buddy Tan from uni helped me out—we trained together in my hostel, and it made a huge difference during the actual sim session. I also went to ZahirFlightSim to get guides and tips from Zahir himself on what to improve based on my flight performance.
27th October 2023
This stage is personally one of the toughest, no kidding. There are FIVE assessments – Personality, Cognitive Test, Multitasking, Coordination test, and Flight sim. Personality was straightforward for me. Cognitive test, well, it's okay, just practice those questions you find online or on apps. Treat it like a written exam—practice until you're happy with it. Now, multitasking was a beast, the hardest for me. You gotta do everything at once—mental math, look at shapes, answer questions. It gets overwhelming, man. You get two tries, so make sure you improve on the second go. Before diving in, strategize, read those instructions carefully. Flight sim – you gotta maintain altitude, speed, and heading. Listen to the instructions, it's not that tricky if you're used to the joystick and throttle column. Oh, and coordination test is kinda like the flightsim, get used to that joystick, and you'll be good. Quick tip, if you're using a joystick like the Logitech 3D Pro, try to unlearn it because the feel is just not the same. The sensitivity and all that are way off. Another thing don't be too complacent eventhough you have flight sim experience before because I myself, am a flightsimmer who sims on VATSIM network and still find it difficult to handle the controls of the plane itself.
My golden tips for psychomotor:
- Have atleast a study group of friends to study together. Reason being is that there are people who are very clever in what theyre doing. Shared intellectuals are better than studying alone as it boosts ur understanding and logic
- Don’t feel panic when you missed something, it is common and just keep your focus ongoing. Just continue to do whatever u are doing or else u will be panic on the other tasks too.
- Go to toilet early, come early, and dont eat food that will make u wanna berak. For real. Because of the difficulty of the task, there will be probability that your nerves wont be steady
Oh during this time, there are other intake that MAB opens for private cadets but little of them was selected and they have to sit the assessments just like us except that their Stage 1 is Interview, Stage 2 ADAPT, and Stage 3 Simcheck (if im not mistaken). These small people are called via email and it is not publicise of the cadetship for CPL/IR fresh grads. But just keep on networking amongst yourself and try to apply if there is any private opening.
Stage 4: Medical Class 1
5th January 2024 (1st batch PASS email out)
2 months passed by, and everyone almost gaved up waiting for the result to come out. On the 5th January 2024, half of us have actually received the result stating that they passed for ADAPT at around 10:12pm. At that time I thought I already failed because the next day I didn't receive any result. I wrote to the HR team asking for my status of my results and they said that the results will be released in stages and they are finalising with the assessors. Im really glad that hope is still there for me!
17th January 2024 ( I passed successfully yayyy....)
Actually next week is my final examination and honestly speaking after receiving the result, I have no mood to study lol (Don't be like me). I am having 5 papers next week and really it turns me off because for one day I have 2 exams lmao and Im close to pursuing my dream. Can't even sleep for few days because thinking that it is a dream, cannot even eat at all. Finally I felt like its sorta of a dream come true. I came back home early from my university because I thought the result may come out that week, so I just reasoned with myself to come back early to just try get medical class 1 early. If tak pass then its okay la because at that time im more worried of my eyes so had to get that check early. I set my appointment on Thursday and on Wednesday I received my result for Malaysia Airlines. To book an appointment for THONEH make sure u book early via their website here. U can tick the following option as follows:
1. Opthalmologist: "Dr Thenandthire/Dr Pall (whichever u may prefer)"
2. Services: "New Patient"
3. Comment or message: "Eye checkup for cadet pilot malaysia airlines"
Later they will send u an email to confirm your appointment date or will call u and u will be just fine!
18th January 2024 (The day to THONEH)
Went for THONEH first @9am before going for body medical checkup because I wouldnt want to ulang-alik from eye to body alot of times. I suggest that you guys do the same too. Go get your eyes checked first. I went to THONEH via Asia Jaya LRT and walk around 400m to get there (Link via GoogleMap). I was the first one to be doing the pilot eye checkup with the number registered at 0001 (lol lucky) but there was a few other old folks there too to do eye checkup. Overall for the session it took me around 3 hours to complete it because of other folks started to come. I am quite nervous because everyone kept saying that dripping the solution hurts so badly. But anyways for the sake of piloting why not?
First went to check my visual acuity WITHOUT optical aids via snellen chart, i had my left vision 6/15(625 myopia) like that whilst the right 6/60(550 myopia). I was like uh oh is that bad? They give u a pair of black shades and cover one of your eyes and ask u to squint your eyes to be able to see the alphabets on the screen. Okay pass that one, next have to check your eye muscle and power; they will ask u if u can see the snellen chart with the glasses. And do a juling test (muscle eyes test) and oh BTW (NOTE; If its been few years u havent had your power checked, better do so and update your latest power because later they MIGHT ask u to go and buy a pair of new glasses). A day before the checkup I did my new spectacles @Sungei Wang Plaza for super cheap price at RM150 laik that for both glass and frame. Click here if you are intrested to get these cheap prices spectacles, very recommended! Siap within 30 minutes. Save money save cost. Okay then barulah comes the big thing, have to drip solution. I feel scared but when they put, I was like eh?? its like eyemo and no burning sensation at all lmao my friends gotta be kidding me said it was burning.
They ask me to wait 10 mins then go into the room to meet Dr Thenand, she checked my nerves (super duper bright lights coming in ur eyes), she checked my eye pressure (the one i scared the most , but didnt feel anything because she drop another 2 solutions lmao but she was comforting). Then my eyes are all done, I almost passed but after Dr Thenand asked advice from Dr Pall i failed lol because my left eye is not achieved 6/60. Damn! She said I almost passed, unfortunately she cannot pass me and asked me to do LASIK after getting advice from Dr Pall of my condition. That would take recovery period of 6 months or 1 year; depends, if recover faster then can get your eyes checkup'd and pass for body checkup. I immediately send my results of my eye checkup to MAG Recruitment team to request for an extension in order to give me time to do LASIK. On the 23th January 2024, I received an email from them giving me time for me to do LASIK dued by 31st May 2024 so I am glad that they considered my request. After done doing LASIK then they will continue with the loan briefing and pilot training so at the moment I am put on "HOLD".











Comments
Post a Comment